This is a guide on how to install the theme as the demo.
- Theme and Plugin Installation
- Updating the theme
- Demo Import
- Select Home page and Blog page
- Revolution Slider
- Search Form, profile fields and Buddypress settings
- BP Profile tabs and Matching
- Setting up Buddypress components and pages
- Others ( permalinks and paid memberships pro )
See the full install and setup video:
Theme & Plugin Installation
First of all, you will need WordPress installed at your website, and access to the admin panel.
At the themeforest .zip file, find WordPress > sweetdate.zip and sweetdate-child.zip
Go to your WordPress admin panel ( www.yourwebsite.com/wp-admin ) and at Appearance > Themes, select Add New > Upload
Now drop / select sweetdate.zip and click Install Now
Problems installing the theme? You got errros like post limit exceeded or time out? See the Manual install using FTP
Do the same with sweetdate-child.zip
When both files are installed, go to Appearance > Themes and click Activate at Sweetdate Child. Why? (Because it will be where you will save all changes done to style.css or functions.php or any new file you choose to edit. This way, if you update the main theme, your changes won’t be lost, as the child theme works like an upper layer.)
Log into the WordPress admin, go to Appearance → Themes and activate sweetdate-child Theme.
Manual upload using FTP
To install the theme correctly, you MUST UNZIP the file downloaded from ThemeForest.
- Locate your extracted folder with Themeforest files.
- Unzip theme zip file located in WordPress/sweetdate.zip. Unzip child theme located in WordPress/sweetdate-child.zip
- The correct theme folder must have the style.css file within the root. i.e. WordPress/sweetdate/style.css
- Open your FTP client and connect to your server.
- Locate the themes directory e.g. ‘/wp-content/themes/‘
- Upload sweetdate and sweetdate-child folders to this directory, once the folders have uploaded, it should read ‘/wp-content/themes/sweetdate‘ and ‘/wp-content/themes/sweetdate-child’
Updating the Theme
If you wish to upgrade via FTP, you can read our article here:
Install required plugins
Now it’s time to install the required and/or the recommended plugins ( the theme can work perfectly without them, but Buddypress plugin is a core for many of the theme features )
Go to Appearance > Install Plugins, check all and select Install at bulk actions, then apply.
1 Click Demo Install
1. To access the demo setup wizard, go to Appearance > Theme Setup
2. The wizard will help you to:
- activate the child theme if it hasn’t already been installed.
- install required plugins
- install demo content
After the wizard is complete you can start customising your site, setting up menus and editing content.
Go to Settings > Reading and select “A static page” choose Home, Blog
Go to Revolution Slider at your WordPress admin panel, click Import Slider
At the themeforest file, inside Demo Content folder, find revolution_slider > exported sliders
And drop / select the slider you want to use, for example full_width_with_form and click import.
Import demo profile fields
Go to Sweetdate > Buddypress and click Import buddypress profile fields
Reload the same page.
Turn on Online status if you want the users to see others online status
Remember always to save changes.
BP Profile Tabs & Matching
Now let’s go to Sweetdate > BP Profile tabs
Enable it and check the profile groups you want to show
Your users will be able to fill those profile groups at Profile > Edit. Also, they won’t appear if they are empty, so in order to appear at their profile, they need to fill the fields of each group.
Go to Sweetdate > Profiles Matching
Enable it and enable complementary fields, here you can select how much % is each field, it will change the matching percentage of the users
- Starting % 0
- Complementary fields percentage 10
- Other fields 5
Setting up Buddypress Components and Pages
Finally, go to Settings > Buddypress
Select the features you want for your website
And set up buddypress pages, at Settings > Buddypress > Pages
THIS IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT OR YOUR COMMUNITY WON’T FUNCTION PROPERLY
That is all demo setup.
- Your website might not function properly if you have the wrong permalinks, make sure you have Post Name at Settings > Permalinks.
- Membership Levels (Paid Memberships Pro):
- Only needed if you are going to have a paid site or a membership site.